Finding a shade that accentuates your eye colour can truly be lifechanging. But with a number of shades accessible, it’s important to identify which one complements your eyes best. So, to help max out your look, we’ve asked Hair and Makeup Artist, Georgia Hull to share some of her hidden secrets. From smoky silvers to deep purples, these picks tailored to your eye colour will have you looking anything but dull and washed out!
(Almost) any colour goes. “Look for warm, neutral pigments to enhance your brown eyes and really make them pop,” says Hull. “If you’re after something a little more striking, shades of purple, khaki green and shimmery gold work particularly well as they bring out any yellow flecks within the eyes,” she adds.
1. Morphe 9J Just A Crush Artistry Palette, $18 at Morphe.
3. HUDA BEAUTY Desert Dusk Eyeshadow Palette, $99 at Sephora.
With blue eyes, there is actually no need to wear vivid shades to emphasize them since they’re already bright. “Opt for contrasting colours such as rich, warm and earthy browns to help make them look extremely blue,” suggests Hull.
1. NYX Cosmetics Whipped Wonderland Shadow Set, $35.95 at NYX Cosmetics.
2. Nude by Nature Natural Wonders Eye Palette, $24.97 at Chemist Warehouse.
3. Morphe 25A Copper Spice Artistry Palette, $17 at Morphe.
“Typically, neutral shades with red undertones like terracotta really highlight the green in your eyes,” tells Hull. “If you want to play with colour, a subdued taupe-brown shade is a fantastic way to bring out any golden flecks in the irises,” she suggests.
1. BYS 8 Palette Eyeshadow Terracotta, $6.95 at BYS.
2. FENTY BEAUTY Snap Shadows Eyeshadow Palette in Deep Neutrals, $39 at Sephora.
3. Sephora Collection Arctic Eyes Eyeshadow Palette, $10 at Sephora.
“Purple and eggplant instantly make hazel eyes sparkle,” says Hull. “For something less intense, dust a bronze shadow all over the eye with a hint of purple in the inner corners to add depth and shine,” she adds.
1. MORPHE 39S Such A Gem Palette, $50 at Mecca.
2. M.A.C. Cosmetics Power To The Purple Eyeshadow, $29 at M.A.C. Cosmetics.
3. STILA Magnificent Metals Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow, $37 at Mecca.
Smoky, silver shades instantly accentuate grey eyes. “Gunmetal or silvery-blue shades make your eyes incredibly blue as they quickly play up your steely-grey eyes,” says Hull. “Experiment with burgundy –it creates a truly beautiful contrast,” she adds.
1. MODELS PREFER Black Eyeshadow Palette, $10 at Priceline.
2. COVERGIRL truNaked Eyeshadow Palette in Smoky, $11.47 at Priceline.
3. M.A.C. Cosmetics Dazzleshadow, $40 at M.A.C. Cosmetics.